Monday, February 23, 2009

Time is flying by me.

Thursday I found out that we have been here for 6 weeks. Wow!!!! It does not feel like it and I have to get serious on my classes. I have nothing done for my online classes back to WSC. I started different papers, but have not finished them. Problems with the internet and the partiers just put me in a frustrated mood and I stopped on my work.

I have talked to the exchange student coordinator about the situation here. She told me it would cost extra to get a private cabana or I could confront the girls about the noise on our deck. I had already thought about those options and also maybe switching with one of the partiers that is rooming with a quiet girl. I was told that the ones on a certain program had to room together, so that ended that solution. Basically I was told it was up to me to solve the problem. Then I talked to the owner of the resort to see if I could pay the extra for a single cabana. She looked at her reservations and there are only a few days that one is open for the rest of our time here. I am not going to confront the group because it is about 10 to 1, my roommate being one of them, and I am already treated as a boring old stick in the mud.

I wonder some days if they consider anyone other than themselves. They have totally alienated themselves from the group in town and the Belizean students. I overheard them at school complaining about the other students not talking to them and not knowing why. One of the guys in our group gave them a hint by jokingly calling them the “gossip girls”, which made them mad. He said, “Well you sit on the porch and talk about everybody.”

I have been using my spare time looking for another option. By talking to Belizean students, I have found out about different places that rent rooms to students. I looked at a cabana that rents for $550 (Belize dollars) a month. It has a TV, AC, and a ceiling fan. It is cute, in a quiet area, and close to a grocery store and the bus route. I looked at another “apartment” that does not have AC or a TV, but it has a microwave and table and chairs. It is located downtown, which means it is close to an internet cafĂ©, grocery store, restaurants, and the bus stop. It rents for $400 (Belize) a month and the family lives right upstairs. I am leaning towards the apartment because of the access to the internet. The cabana would cost about the same as how much more I would have to pay for a single cabana here, if there was one available. The end of the month is approaching so I have to make up my mind this week. I will blog more about it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment