Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Feeding My Curiosity

Being in a new culture has my curiosity going a hundred miles an hour. That means I am asking questions of the staff at college, the owners of this resort, and talking to others on the campus bus. So far I have found an interesting preschool on the bus route which happens to be run by the resort owner’s aunt. I am now volunteering there one afternoon a week helping the ones that are just learning English. They need it in order to advance in the English speaking school system. Miss Juanita, the owner, is setting up activities for me, and two other exchange students, to do with the children. The two students heard me talking about what I was doing and asked if they could help too. Miss Juanita was glad to hear and said she could use anyone that wants to work in the afternoon.

I knew that the Peace Corps had workers in Belize. By talking to an American girl on the bus I have now made contact with a lady who is working here at the Department of Education. My plan was just to get a first hand account of what it was like to be in the Peace Corps. Maybe the fact that she is in Education is a sign. We have only emailed each other, but have set a date to meet at a local café to talk. She sounds like she is really looking forward to meeting with me.

Next I will work on feeding my curiosity about the school system here. I have heard that there is no teachers’ college here. I only have that from one source so I am not taking that as fact yet. The elementary and high school is set up on the British system. Makes sense, doesn’t it! The British have only been out of Belize since the 1980’s. When I get into the schools doing my ESL Practicum, I will learn much more. Also I am joining a group trip to visit a Mennonite school. The purpose is to see how different cultures affect the schools.

Who knows what other subjects will stir up questions. If you have any thoughts that could be interesting, leave a comment. I just may grab on to it and do some digging.

No comments:

Post a Comment