Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The People I’ve Met

I had been told by a lady at the college that the people of Belize are quiet and reserved, but friendly. They said we would have to start the conversations. As I am walking around San Ignacio, getting to know where everything is located, I am finding out that the description needs a little adjustment. I have been approached by at least 3 people each time I go out. I have not been the one to initiate the conversation. I won’t write about each one, but here are some of the interesting ones.

I have been approached by two different people who spoke high speed Spanish. It would not have mattered if they slowed down; I only speak English so far. One was a little guy that saw I had a cigarette and wanted to bum one. When I let him know I no habla espanol, he said some words in English and went right back to Spanish. I gathered it was a good story from all the smiling, waving of his hands, and moving around. I was polite and smiled and nodded – and ended up giving him a cigarette. The other one was a skinny older lady carrying a toddler. She didn’t understand when I tried to explain that I didn’t speak Spanish. She walked along with me for a while; talking the whole time. The only thing I understood was comida (food). I just said sorry and shook my head. I have since learned the name of the organization to refer them to if food is the issue.

The local taxi drivers are always asking if you need a ride, but one just wanted to talk while I was waiting at the bus stop. He is a pretty nice little guy and I will probably chat with him more since he is parked in that area. I may be able to find out quite a bit about the area.

One lady in her forties approached me to talk about my see-through book bag. As she walked up to me she laughed and said she liked my scandal bag. I hadn’t known that they were called that. She said she was an artist from Canada and had done an exhibition using the scandal bags filled with things that people would not want others to see them carrying. We didn’t talk long enough for me to find out if she had a “studio” in this area.

I have even been approached by a guy in his mid-twenties (with dread locks). I think he was just bored because he just asked about how I was doing and how I used my leisure time. I talked to him for a while and asked him questions. He answered questions easily; not that I believe everything he said.

This is just a sample, but it shows that people are not as reserved as I was led to believe. I will agree that they are friendly and are quiet in the respect that they do not speak loudly or yell.

No comments:

Post a Comment