Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Struggle To Get Here

This adventure started by reading the Go Abroad newsletter on the internet which sparked a tiny flame of interest that turned into a forest fire. I have always thought about traveling and learning Spanish; Belize filled the bill. It took a whole semester to check out the program and figure out how to afford it financially. Luckily I found out about the Gilman Scholarship and applied for it. I didn't have much hope since the competition was fierce, but I went for it and----GOT IT!!!!! Without the scholarship I would not be here.

During the long process of paperwork for Gilman, Galen University, my home college (WSC), insurance, etc, and figuring out how to manage things at home, I went on an emotional rollercoaster ride. It would look like all was going smoothly, then suddenly a problem would send me down a slope in panic. The closer it got to being a reality, the worse the ride got. A few times it almost made me sick. It finally became a reality as I boarded the plane. Before that I knew something could go wrong and my dream would disappear. But it didn't, and here I am in Belize!!!

This blog will be my journal. I hope you enjoy it and maybe it will spark a little fire of wanderlust in a few of you. Some days I will be long winded and others days I may only write a little. It depends on the school work and my wandering around the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment